Junetta Mehl

Junetta S. Mehl

Thursday, June 11th, 1931 - Saturday, July 18th, 2020
Recommend this to your friends.
Share via:

Sign in to the Family Interactive Login

The Family Interactive feature enhances An Amazing Life. Authorized family members can securely access their loved one's memorial website settings at any time.

Share Book of Memories with a Friend

Please enter the name and email details so that we can send your friend a link to the online tribute. No names or addresses will be collected by using this service.

Email Sent

Your email has been sent.

To share your memory on the wall of Junetta Mehl, sign in using one of the following options:

Sign in with Facebook


Sign in with your email address

Your condolence has been posted successfully

Provide comfort for the family by sending flowers or planting a tree in memory of Junetta Mehl

No Thanks

Contact Funeral Home

Please enter your question or comment below:

Email Sent

Your email has been sent.

Junetta's Tribute Fund

  •  Full Name
  •  Initials
  •  Anonymous
By continuing, you agree with the terms and privacy policy.

Junetta's Tribute Fund

There may be a delay while processing. Please do not click the back button or refresh while a payment is processing.
Send Flowers
Guaranteed hand delivery by a local florist


Junetta S. Mehl (nee Salottolo), of Mount Laurel, NJ passed away on July 18, 2020 at the age of 89. Beloved wife of the late Theodore A. Mehl. Loving mother of Diana Wind (Harry) and Loretta Mehl. Caring grandmother of Omar and Diana. Dear sister of Alexander Salottolo (Jane) and Joanne Johnson (the late Richard). An incredibly special Aunt, cousin, and friend to many. Junetta was born June 11, 1931 in NYC to Honorable Alexander Salottolo and Phyllis Zingales. Graduate and class President (1952) Marymount College NY. Junetta enjoyed fulfilling careers working for TWA airlines, as a teacher in Haddon Twp. NJ public schools and as business owner of Emco Printing and Garden of Eden Natural Foods and Country Kitchen. She worked until age 80 at Lois’ Health Cupboard. Relatives and friends are invited to the visitation on Thursday July 23 at 10 AM at Bradley Funeral Home, Route 73 and Evesham Road, Marlton, NJ. The funeral service will be at 10:30 AM at the funeral home. The interment will be private.

See below for a few short stories written by Junetta.

Copy and paste this link to view the services during and after the service times.

Eulogies from Junetta's funeral service:

Eulogy by Diana Mehl Wind
presented 7/23/2020

My mom, my business partner, my friend

I’d like to thank my husband Harry and sister Loretta, our Trinity Church family, and all our friends and relatives for your many prayers and blessings for mom. Today we celebrate a very special lady: Junetta Josephine Marie Salottolo Mehl who was born June 11, 1931 in New York to the Honorable Alexander Salottolo and Phyllis Zingales.

Mom was the oldest of 3 children. She is survived by her brother Alexander, his wife Jane* and her sister Joanne. Aunt June loved her godson Richard Johnson Jr and her namesake and grandniece Alexandra June. She loved all her nieces, nephews, their spouses, children and cousins.

*Our prayers are with Aunt Jane as she recovers from a stroke that happened at the same time mom was in the hospital. Mom would want lots of positive, healing wishes for her. Mom always thought positive.

Mom thrived on all her traveling adventures especially adventures with Loretta and visits with her brother and sister.

Mom’s sister wrote something special and asked me to share it with you. I would like to begin with what she wrote.

Reading of Joanne’s memories…

Mom loved being around being around people. She loved visiting and being with her friends. Right up until New Year’s Day 2020, she lived with Harry and me. She lived for just a few months in a nursing home before COVID-19 precautions changed our lives and we could no longer visit.

Mom went into the hospital on June 24th for a fever shortly after her 89th Birthday on June 11.
She was tested many times and thankfully never got the Corona virus. She passed away Saturday morning July 18th just as I got to her hospice room (day 15). She is now finally at peace.

I’m going to try to forget about her last difficult months and instead remember all the wonderful times we had with her. She truly lived a wonderful, full life and was loved by everyone who met her.

Mom grew up in New York. She used to tell me how she loved walks with her grandpa Gaetano Zingale Botta in 1936.

She loved the visits with her family at 2753 Briggs Ave in the Bronx. Mom told us about the fig tree in her grandparent’s backyard garden. She loved that garden. Inside their house everyone gathered every Sunday after church, she remembers everyone would be speaking in Italian. You can find a few short stories that Mom wrote on the funeral home website.

Mom graduated high school from the Academy of the Sacred Heart of Mary in 1948 then started at Marymount Manhattan College in Sept. 1948. She was the sing leader for 3 years (I didn’t know mom could sing!). Mom made many special friends at Marymount and went to and enjoyed her 50th reunion there.

She was the President of her graduating class of 1952 and was awarded the Marquis George MacDonald Gold Medal for “the student who by her character and example has exerted the greatest influence for good on her companions.”

Mom’s fondest experiences included the many good times she had at Long Beach Island at her parent’s summer home in Haven Beach. She loved her boats and liked to waterski. Tennessee Ave is where she met Dad. Dad’s family had a beach house on the same street. Mom had lots of fun organizing sailboat races and regattas at LBI.

She fell in love and married dad, Theodore “Dorrie” Mehl when she was 24 years old in NY on Oct 1, 1955. Harry included some wonderful wedding picture memories in the photo slide show that is posted on the funeral home website.

Mom worked at TWA airlines for a number of years before she became a teacher. She really loved that job. She took time off from work to enjoy motherhood. I was born in 1960 and Loretta in 1962. Mom was quick to become involved in the PTA of our elementary school and became publicity chairman.

She loved making and building things. As kids, Loretta and I had the best go-kart in town!

We have many great memories of family trips to Red Wing Lakes Campground. Dad made a sign for in front of our trailer calling it the “Mehl Box”. We loved sitting around the campfire as a family and exploring nature and fishing and swimming at the lake.

Later in the 1960’s mom started teaching at Vansciver Elementary School and Stoy Elementary School in Haddon township NJ. Her teacher friends tell me she was an extraordinary teacher. She got her students involved in shows and into special projects. One project was having her students construct a village and they literally built small homes and were featured in the local newspaper. Mom also led the teacher’s union in NEA salary negotiations.

When Dad died Nov 11, 1972, he was only 43 and she was just 41 years old. Becoming a widow so young took Mom and our family by surprise. Mom’s determination and positive energy emerged even stronger as she continued to embrace life to the fullest.

She never complained. She got us a backyard pool and a German Shepard dog to take our mind off things. After dad died, Mom drove us on a most memorable trip out west to Minnesota and Wyoming and on the way back home by way of Oklahoma to see our relatives.

Mom started taking night classes towards her Master’s Degree in Elementary School administration at Glassboro (now Rowan University) and graduated May 25, 1977 with her master’s and a certificate from the State of NJ Department of Education that she was authorized to serve in the public schools of NJ as a principal/supervisor.

After that accomplishment, she wanted even more for us. She decided she wanted to become a business owner. She attended a franchise show and came back excited to start a printing company. Only she decided that she would start it on her own rather than with franchise support - Emco Printing was born!

I’m not surprised that Mom would love printing presses. She was curious to learn how machines operated. She learned how to run the presses. I was still in high school at the time and remember waiting for her to pick me up after school so I could go in and help. Emco was a rewarding venture for us both. We made many lifelong friends. Some of whom worked with us in our second business venture, a health food store and restaurant, Garden of Eden in Mt. Laurel.

We had so many great times at Garden of Eden. Mom hung her hat there for over 10 years too. There was always something special about Mom. Customers loved coming in just to speak with her.

She was president of the NJ Association of Women Business Owners 1981-1983.

After we closed the store in 1999 Mom went on to work right up until she was 80 years old at Lois’ Health Cupboard natural food stores. She loved the job and the customers and of course her special friend, the store manager, Linda.

We made many friends from Garden of Eden and Emco; and mom loved you all. Thanks so much for your special friendships to mom.

Mom was always so proud of her children and especially her grandchildren Omar and Diana. She was with Loretta when Omar was born. She always talked to her friends about her grandchildren.

When Loretta was living in Jordan she could not wait to visit. She carefully planned one of the most memorable trips in her lifetime to Jordan. She loved visiting Loretta and her family there. How many people can say they rode a camel? Mom did! She proudly displayed that photo of herself riding a camel in Jordan on the counter where she worked.

Mom was radiant at my wedding to Harry in 2001. She loved Harry so much. Harry took mom in to live with us from the beginning of our marriage right up until this New Year’s Day Jan 2020. Harry, I can’t thank you enough for your never-ending love and support of Mom.

In closing, I just want to say that we all agree that Mom was truly a very special woman.

We’re thankful for all the wonderful hard-working healthcare workers in her nursing home that kept her safe from getting the coronavirus.

Mom, we all love you so much. May you rest in peace. Remember if heaven does not have coffee and biscotti, we know you will not hesitate to start a business. Mom you will always be a part of us. We will always look for your loving spirit in the garden.

Thank you all for taking time to celebrate Junetta with us. Your friendship, love and prayers are what will keep us going.

Diana Mehl Wind 7/23/2020

Eulogy by Joanne Salottolo Johnson
My sister Junetta
Memories through the eyes of a younger sister…
Junetta was a very special person in my life. She was older and smart and she always gave me guidance in a soft gentle manner yet she was straight forward and very articulate. And she always pronounced all of her words which contained the letter “T”... very articulately!
Junetta studied and worked in New York City while we were living in Great Neck, Long Island. She would commute into the city with our Dad. One of my favorite Christmas presents from her was the “record of the month” club membership. It was so thrilling to open my up monthly package and find a new 10 inch 78 rpm record! We would sing and dance to “I’m a Little Teapot” over and over till we laughed and giggled on many a Saturday afternoon!
Junetta loved Long Beach Island…an 18 mile long island along the Jersey coast. It was there where our summer home was located on Tennessee Avenue dating from the early 1940’s to the late 1960’s. Our home was cherished by our six family members…Mom, Dad, Junetta, Alexander, myself, and our grandmother, Angelina. Junetta was the very best gardener on the block! She planted zinnias, petunias, marigolds, roses…you name it…she planted it! Our house had the most beautiful garden beds ever and people would stop and just gaze at the carpet of colors that she created. I remember those gardens so vividly to this day.
Junetta founded the Haven Beach Association Club on LBI which was a summer club for the children living in our township and as her “kid sister” I was just so proud of her and I even knew the founder! The club later became today’s Haven Beach Yacht Club! She loved to sail and she had two boats…a sailboat and a motor boat…and she had some good looking boyfriends too but one young man named Ted Mehl from Pennsylvania won her over and well…the rest is history. Junetta had the most beautiful wedding at the Hotel Pierre in New York and I was “her flower girl” but she made me feel like “I” was the bride that very day! Ever so caring she was.
Junetta worked for the TWA Airlines for many years and she would send me handwritten letters with the TWA logo on them and that made me feel so special. And she gave me huge travel posters from all over the world and I would dream of going to these faraway places with her…she took me to her office and I played with the interoffice memo system and I secretly sent notes to all of her coworkers. It was so much fun to be with my big sister!
Junetta came to my eighth-grade graduation, high school graduation, and both college graduations. She just loved celebrations and she brought happiness with her…and a bunch of presents too!
Junetta had a strong sense of character and when tragedy struck her early and her husband Ted passed away; we became very close. I was a newly married woman and I then understood what it meant to lose someone so dear as a husband. We cried together for many nights. She lived through that loss with hope, conviction, and her enduring love for her children. She balanced her life carefully with raising her daughters, working, and still having time for perhaps some LBI fun, a trip to Paris, or those many trips to Cape Cod to visit my family.
Junetta was an extraordinary “Aunt June” to my children…Brenna, Richard, Kristine and Philip. We celebrated many Christmases, Easters and Cape Cod summer visits, car trips to colleges and college graduations…always so happy just being together. She loved reading road maps during all of these traveling adventures...pointing to this and pointing to that. She loved geography so much.
Junetta was a loving mother and she raised two wonderful daughters, Diana and Loretta. She became a successful & devoted public-school teacher & reading specialist and she even started two businesses from scratch!
But what she loved the most in her heart…was being a grandmother to Omar and Diana. She loved them dearly.
My sister Junetta will always be my inspiration. She will be missed by her family, my family, her husband’s family, friends, colleagues, and acquaintances.
I hope you love my memories of Junetta as much as I love them. And by the way...I, too, am now reading road maps during my traveling adventures!
God bless my sister.

Joanne Salottolo Johnson 7/23/20

As written by Junetta Salottolo Mehl:
Family memories

#1 I Can Remember

I can remember, as early as seven years of age, (about 1938) visiting my grandparents (on my father’s side) at 2753 Briggs Avenue, Bronx, NY. My grandmother, Nonna, would beat the yolk of two or three eggs, mix this with sugar and it was a delicious treat that I would have every time we visited. My grandfather, Nonno, would usually talk with the men in Italian. And Nonna would talk to the women in Italian. But the funny thing was that, when they spoke to me, they would speak in English.

My grandparents’ home was a three-story row home. I think my father’s cousin, Babe, lived on the third floor (before she married). No one ever went up there. It was out-of-bounds. There was a basement which was accessible from an inside door in the pantry.

And there was a back yard with a garden that Aunt Sally, my father’s sister, took care of. I loved that back yard. It was my first introduction to gardening and that interest has stayed with me my whole life. Thank you, Aunt Sally. You were a good teacher!

The garden was as wide as the house was wide with row homes on either side. If you stood in the yard with the house behind you and looked up, you’d see an eight or ten-story apartment building. That’s why that little garden was like a ‘Garden of Eden’ right there in the middle of the Bronx.

A few relatives of my grandparents lived on Valentines Avenue which was within walking distance. I especially remember one elderly woman who was called Zia. Once in a while we’d visit her in her apartment. However, if you kept on walking past Zia’s house, you’d come to Fordham Road. This was a major shopping area anchored by the department store called ‘Uptown, it’s Alexanders.’ I visited this store many times with Aunt Sally and/or her sister, Aunt Mary.

#2 During This Same Period

During this same period I would accompany my mother and grandmother on trips to visit Aunt Anna and Uncle Joe (Dr. & Mrs. Joseph Zingales) at their home in Cranford, NJ. Uncle Joe was my mother’s brother. These trips were such fun because we had to take a ferry from Cortlandt Street in New York City across the Hudson River to New Jersey. I loved the ferry ride. (This was probably the start of my love of boats and boating that I have enjoyed all my life.) Then we’d catch a Jersey Central train to Cranford.
Once in Cranford, I was like the city mouse visiting the country mouse. I would have such a great time. I’d play with my cousin Tom who was a year older than I. The back yard was huge with a creek at the far end. During the winter it would freeze over and we could go ice skating if I was lucky enough to be visiting during a cold spell. During summer visits I’d mow the lawn with one of those old fashioned mowers – the kind with the cutting blades rotating between two wheels. Aunt Anna always thought I was crazy. But I loved it. Uncle Joe, the doctor, gave me my first eye examination which led to my wearing glasses forever after.

#3 A New Member of the Family

In the latter part of my fourth year, my mother decorated a bassinet. Ii was made of wicker and had four big wheels. She decorated it with white satin ribbon and bows. I had never seen anything like it. Then I remember she went away. A few days later my father took me to see her. But there was some commotion about whether I could go in. I got the feeling that I shouldn’t be there. But somehow my dad snuck me upstairs and I remember seeing this baby with big, big eyes. That was my introduction to my brother, Alexander. We call him Al, for short. I don/t remember ever seeing my mother because my dad took me back down to the lobby of the hospital just as fast as he took me up to my mother’s room. And I’ll never forget those big brown eyes!

#4 Beginning School

I began my elementary education at Blessed Sacrament School on 70th Street in Manhattan. I remember my first day. It was awful. My mother took me and I did not want to leave her. I cried. But the Principal bribed me by letting me ride the elevator. I was escorted to Sister Helen’s class and I, at age five, was on my way.

I became friendly with a boy, Joe Croce, and our mothers met when they would come to pick us up at dismissal time. After school we would go to Central Park and play while my mother, Phyllis, and Joe’s mother, Olga chatted away. Thus began a family friendship that lasted for many, many years..

It was in this school that I learned how to write. Cursive, that is. Palmer Method is what it was called. Mrs. Mackenerny was my second grade teacher and she.d stand at the board and swing the chalk in a half oval left to right, then right to left. As she did this at the board, we kids would be doing it on paper at our desks. “Don’t hold your pencil too tight. Keep it loose,” she’d say. But I loved school, in spite of it. And the chicken scratch I have today, proves it. I stayed in this school through sixth grade.

#5 World War II (To San Francisco)

My father joined the Navy as his contribution to the war effort. Mother was upset since he was over the age limit and didn’t have to serve. But he did anyway. After basic training, Dad was transferred to Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay, California…Here he was being trained in the new field of radar technology. This assignment was to take almost a year, so he arranged for Mother, my brother Al, and me to join him there.

We traveled by train. The first leg was from New York to Chicago where we transferred to a train that took us directly to San Francisco. The train ride itself was quite an experience. Our Pullman accommodations were great. Mother and I slept in the lower berth and Alexander slept in the upper. The first night he looked so lonely when he poked his head out of the curtains, but then we all got used to the routine. I even learned how to play chess along the way. Until we came to Omaha.

When the train pulled into Omaha, we were advised that there would be an engine change and we could get off the train, stretch our legs and even get a bite to eat. This was exciting and we did just that. We didn’t rush as we had plenty of time to spare. Mom and I get back on the train and she looks out the window and sees my brother, Al on an adjacent platform. She screams hysterically. We run out of the car, up the platform, around to the other side. Mother still screaming so everyone is aware that something is awry. There, all alone on the platform is Al, oblivious that anything is amiss. Mother grabs his hand and we race around and back to our car, all of us panting as we made it in time to travel on to San Francisco. This was such an on-the-brink experience, that I still remember every detail.
Read Less

To send flowers to the family or plant a tree in memory of Junetta S. Mehl, please visit our Heartfelt Sympathies Store.

Sign Up for Notifications

Receive notifications about information and event scheduling for Junetta

Service Details

  • Visitation

    Thursday, July 23rd, 2020 | 10:00am - 10:30am
    Thursday, July 23rd, 2020 10:00am - 10:30am
    Bradley Funeral Home
    601 NJ-73 South
    Marlton, Evesham Twp., NJ 08053
    Get Directions: View Map | Text | Email
  • Service

    Thursday, July 23rd, 2020 | 10:30am
    Thursday, July 23rd, 2020 10:30am
    Bradley Funeral Home
    601 NJ-73 South
    Marlton, Evesham Twp., NJ 08053
    Get Directions: View Map | Text | Email
  • Interment

    Address not given


We encourage you to share your most beloved memories of Junetta here, so that the family and other loved ones can always see it. You can upload cherished photographs, or share your favorite stories, and can even comment on those shared by others.

No video recorded.

Private Condolence
The Johnson Family sent flowers to the family of Junetta S. Mehl.
Guaranteed hand delivery by a local florist

The Zingale Family

Posted at 03:01pm
In remembrance of Junetta Mehl (nee Salottolo). Our thoughts and prayers for your family and friends. We also remember the good times at LBI.

5 trees were planted in the memory of Junetta Mehl

Plant a tree

Joanne Johnson

Posted at 10:18pm
Dear Diana,

I found some more photos of Junetta...and the photos belonged to Brenna...they may have been added two times...that's how much we loved Junetta...not 100% of the time but 200%!
Much love, Aunt Jo xoxo

Diana Posted at 09:13am

I'm loving all the photos! So many wonderful Johnson family memories! xoxo

Kristine Jacobs

Posted at 08:31pm
I have added several photos from the Johnson family, we loved Aunt June dearly and will always cherish the time we had together.

Kristine Johnson Jacobs

Diana Posted at 09:58pm

Hi Kristine, thanks so much for sharing those photos! Aunt June loved you all so very much xo

Nathalie garreis

Posted at 02:28pm
So sorry for your loss Loretta ! Met your mom many years ago remember when I was in New York; the sweetest lady ever! She will be missed! My heart is with you sweetie!


Posted at 08:27am
Mom loved gardens...
The Junetta Tree arrived!! xoxoxo

Photos & Videos

Photo Album

Upload up to 10 images at a time, max 8MB each
Share by: